Do you qualify as a “Super-Greenie”?
“Super Greenie”-s are
I read an article which stated the “Green” movement functioned similarly to any technology movement where the early adopters set the stage for the entire movement. The article stated five percent of the adult population are “Super Greenies” defined as adults who engage in 10 or more green-related activities such as recycling, using rechargeable batteries or re-using grocery store bags.
How close am I?
I evaluated how any of the activities I practiced in my daily routine and came with the following.
- I re-use grocery bags,
- I drive a hybrid vehicle,
- take public transportation to meetings when the opportunity presents itself,
- I recycle the plastic bottle and aluminum cans.
- I pay my bills electronically
- Occasionally I walk to the Trader’s Joes which is 1.5 miles for my house
This, by my count, gives me seven. I would have thought I would be greener than this. Perhaps, instead of being disappointed I view my discovery as an opportunity.
What do I need to do in order get to ten?
Participating in other green activities such as the following will help. This list is by no means complete.
- Planting a garden of vegetables or fruit
- Composting organic waste
- Using Grey water to water your garden
- Installing solar panels
- Going paperless
- Using baking soda rather than chemical cleaners in your kitchen
- Installing LED lighting
- Using local products – farmer’s market
- Signing up for green power from your utility
About becoming a “Super Greenie”
Clearly, I could do better in regards to my quest to be greener. Then again anything worthwhile is not easy. Are you a Super Greenie?